In the city of Metsovo and the surrounding areas you will have the chance to see and admire about 20 traditional fountains with spring waters dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries. Some of these are:
The fountain in the square
The “Fontana di Campori di Dizpura” or tap of the Town Hall is located in the square of Metsovo and was built in 1858. Its name, meaning “tap over the square”, came from its place in the square.
According to the embedded inscription, it was built by the Committee of Georgiou Iatropoulos, Kyriakos Costakis, Michael Louka and Anastasios Varthassis. The inscription lists the names of donors Kostas Fernikas, Adamanti and Ioannis Potsos. The tap is made of stone and adorned with reliefs on stone slabs, such as a bicephal eagle or hunting scenes.
The “Nitsa” fountain in Metsovo was probably built in the early 20th century. The tap is stone-built on its three sides and is housed with slabs. Right and left there are terraces. In the center, the water is channeled through bronze tap. From there, with a groove that separates its tiled floor in the middle, the water is pumped to water the gardens of the neighborhood. The name of the tap is derived, according to the local tradition, from the vlachian word “nitsa” (= arachnopi, meaning short wool). Tapestries were customary ceremonies after marriage, as well as New Year’s Eve.
The Gouras Fountain is on the underside of the church of Ag. Anargyron. According to the built inscription, it was built in May 1872, at the expense of George Averoff, who was in Alexandria. The tap, stone-built and monocular, is housed with a wooden roof covered with slabs. It stands out for its elegance. It blends harmoniously into the surrounding area and excites the passers-by.
The fountain of St. George in the homonymous district of Metsovo is maintained since 1889. It was originally built there by a fountain by Ioannis Alexis (June 6, 1776). In 1889, however, with the donation of the great benefactor Georgiou Averof, the fountain we see today was built. It is a stone built on all three sides, housed with wood, covered with slabs. The water is pumped from three bronze cannons. The water, through the groove that separates its paved floor in the middle, is then channeled into the gardens of the neighborhood. In the central part above the taps there is the relief votive inscription, which states that it was built at the expense of the “Eleonas”, that is, the Averof bequests. At the top of the inscription there is a bicephal eagle and in the lower part the text in capital letters.