This monastery of Arta dominates, as its imposing, on the western slope of the Peranthis hill. It was founded in 1285 by Nikiforos A Komninos Doukas. It was built in two phases: a) At first, a smaller temple was built by Despot Michael II and his wife Theodora, of unknown form, whose fate we do not know. b) Michael’s son and his wife Anna Palaiologina Kantakouzini, changed the plans and created the present monument, trying to build a temple worthy of a capital in glory.
The temple and the name of Parigoritissa is wrapped in a very beautiful folk legend: The masterpiece that built the temple was renowned and therefore a sought-after craftsman. When the temple was built, he had to be gone for a long time, having called him to take the plans of another church, and left his assistant at his feet. The brilliant, he changed the plans and the church became very incomparably nicer than originally designed. When the master turned around saw the result, he burst out of his jealousy. To punish his assistant for the initiative he took, he called him to the roof to show him a mistake and pushed him out of there. As the skipper fell, however, he was caught by the foreman and he also dragged him into the fall. The Virgin Mary was revealed to her mother, Calpha, to comfort her for her unjust loss. So the temple took its name.
The original temple was founded in honor of St. George. Today, however, she commemorates the memory of Saint Theodora, Queen of Arta and her patron, connecting the past, present and future of the city. The original temple was built in the 11th century. In 1270 Queen Theodora renovated the church, which operated as a female monastery, and added the narthex and the two pediments. Queen Theodora, after the death of her husband, stayed in the monastery until the end of her life.
The relics hosted in the temple are also of great interest. The portable icon, a Cretan school of Christ, dated back to 1653 and is the work of silver-haired Athos Tsimouris. Two magnificent silver shrine, with relief relief, containing the relics of Saint Theodora. Finally, the silver-lined icon of Agia, a work of the 17th century. Her painting was made on a thin layer of gold. At the entrance of the temple the tomb of the Saint is preserved. It is not saved in its original form, because when it was opened for the reunification of the remains they were forced to destroy its marble envelope.
The monastery of Kato Panagia nestles on the hillside of Peranthis Hill, preserving its brilliance and its old mystagogical atmosphere. It was built in the 13th century. by Michael II Komnenos Doukas, as a sign of repentance for his ugly attitude towards his wife Theodora. It was named Kato Panagia as opposed to the church of Parigoritissa, which dominates in a central part of the city. The buildings preserve the traditional architecture, with the monks, the columns and arched columns. The interior backyards, gardens and flower beds that embrace the monastery’s precinct make the place look like a “Virgin Mary’s Garden” and compensate the visitor. The monastery also has a weaving workshop and a small collection of pictures.
Saint Vasileios of the bridge
The temple is hidden among overgrown gardens in the area called Top Palit. It is considered one of the most ancient monuments of Arta built around the 9th century. It is a cruciform temple with a dome. The dome is imposing and disproportionate to the size of the building, giving a special impression.
The entire temple is internally covered with cylindrical domes. The temple of Agios Vasilios is a short distance from the historic bridge of Arta and for this reason it bears the local designation “the Bridge”. According to sources it was a catholic monastery, which was renovated in 1632. The interior of the temple is decorated with frescoes in four layers. During the excavations that have taken place, they have come to light with box-like graves in the northern, southern and western branches of the cross. It is a fortified Byzantine monument.
It was built in the 14th century. In the place of the ancient temple of Artemis or Aphrodite. It was destroyed many times by fire, plunder and natural disasters. In her restored cells she hosts a birthday house.
The Virgin Mary Eleousa
It was built around the 14th century∙ thus is not in a very good condition.
Virgin Mary, the Vlacherna
It was founded at the end of the 11th century as a three-aisled vaulted basilica and was rebuilt in a truil in the middle of the 13th century by Michael II Doukas Komnenos. It was named after the Virgin of Vlacherna in Constantinople.
Agios Dimitrios Katsouri
It is located in Apsias Arta. The oldest monument of Byzantine Artas was built in the second half of the 9th or 10th century.
Agios Nikolaos of Rodia
It is located in Kirkizates Arta. It was built at the end of the 13th century and today it is almost intact.
The Red Church
It is close to Vourgareli in Arta. There are no traces of the old monastery but the temple remains intact. It was built in 1281, on Nikephoros I, and is named because of the plethora of bricks used in its construction.
The Virgin of Koronissia
It is located in Koronissia, Arta. It is one of the oldest temples of Byzantine Art and dates back to the 10th century. He has experienced many modifications from time to time. In Koronissia dominates the Church of the Theotokos. The site of the monument consists of the katholikon of the temple of the Theotokos of Koronissia with its projections, the bell tower, the olive mill area, the chapel of Saint Onoufrios.
In the eastern part there is the plan of the free cross, while in the west the ground plan of the double cross-registered. Its technical construction dates back to the end of the 10th century.
The church took its present form in 1663. The frescoes and its wood-carved iconostasis date back to 1801. It is located near the village of Gourianas of Tzoumerka and is the monastery of the monastery of Theotoki. It is commemorated in the memory of the Birth of the Virgin Mary.
It dates back to the middle of the 17th century, at the site of another older temple. From the temple he took his name and the homonymous village. It is located in the village Megalohari in Radovizia Artas. From the monastery that used to exist there, only the temple, which today functions as a parish church, was saved.
The Monastery of Seltsou
Only the temple and its dilapidated cells have been saved. It was founded in 1697, when the frescoes and the iconostasis were made, and it is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The historical significance of the Monastery is also very significant, since 1804 there were over 1,000 Souliotes closed to their al-Pasha alley. After a four-month siege, the monastery was overwhelmed, only fifty Souliotes were saved, while the women and children, in order not to fall into the hands of the Turks, collapsed to 300 meters.
Agios Georgios of Vourgareli
The monastery was founded in the early 18th century and is preserved in excellent condition. The temple has frescoes dating back to 1714. Here the flag of the Revolution of 1821 was raised by the chieftains of Tzoumerka. It is the crown of Vourgareli at its northern end and one of the most important sights of Tzoumerka. Temple and cells survive in excellent condition.
The monastery of the Virgin Mary
It is a ruined monastery whose temple is still remained. The original monastery was destroyed in 1854 by the Turks and was rebuilt in 1867. What made the monastery famous was that the hero of the revolution of 1821, Georgios Karaiskakis was born in this.