Great forests, impressive ravines, polymorphous geological formations, rich and dense forests, rushing rivers, rough trails, small fertile valleys and among all of them the scenic town of Konitsa with the plain at its feet and the numerous villages on the slopes of its large mountains North Pindos, make up the diverse landscape of the Municipality of Konitsa.
The area of Konitsa is a mountainous area with the homonymous town and the 42 villages. It is located at the northernmost point of N. Ioannina. It borders eastwards with D. Macedonia (N. Kastoria and N. Grevena) and west with Albania. It stretches from Grammos to Tymphi and from Smolikas to Nemertsika. These mountains, as well as the river Aoos with its tributaries, Voidomatis and Sarantaporo, determine the historical, cultural and economic course of the place. The small town stretches on the slope of Mount Trapezitsa, and reaches to the Aoos River. The city has about 3,000 inhabitants and its name in Slavica means a hillside (Koni = horse, yoga = place). It is mentioned for the first time in the Chronicle of Ioannina with this name in 1380.
It is 64 km from Ioannina and 40 minutes from the airport. Transport with the capital of Epirus is made by the buses of KTEL and it is regular and comfortable. The distance from Athens is 550 km and Thessaloniki 350 km. The connection to Macedonia and Thessaloniki is via the Ioannina – Kozani highway, which at Neapolis meets Egnatia Street.