Capital of the prefecture,
built in the north, in the cove of the gulf of Igoumenitsa, across from the island of Corfu. The city is surrounded by pine-laden hills and has a wonderful seaside road lined with sycamores and a park. It was liberated in 1913, during the 1st Balkan War. Before it became the prefecture’s capital, Igoumenitsa was a small seaside village with 500 residents. During World War II, the city was completely destroyed and rebuilt from scratch in the same location.
After the rapid development in the 60s, Igoumenitsa transformed into one of the country’s most important ports. It is connected by boat with Brindisi, Bari, Ancona, Venice and Trieste in Italy as well as with Avlona in Albania and Corfu and Paxous in Greece. It is located 480 km NW of Athens and 470 km SW of Thessaloniki.
In Igoumenitsa, you can enjoy really good seafood and fish but also meet lovers can taste delicious traditional recipes. Don’t leave the place without seeing its beaches and its natural sightseeing’s.