The area of Konitsa consists of a multitude of religious monuments, many of which date from the Byzantine period, such as the famous Monastery of Molyvdoskepasti (7th century AD). It is also worth visiting the historical monastery of Panagia Stomiou, which is located in the middle of the Awakening Gardens, where the monks of Konstantinos Elder Paisios, as well as the holy monasteries of Zerma, Molistis, Kavasilon, Kladormi Fourka and a number of churches, art of the old masons.
Monastery of Panagia Kladormis
The monastery is located one and half hour’s walk from the village of Fourka and at an altitude of 1450m. Its tallest building is the foreman, which looks like a tower with narrow and low entrances. On the west side of the monastery is the low bell tower dating back to 1863, when the monastery was built.
Saint John the Baptist John of Constance
The wondrous thing about our saint is that he was originally a mummathan and a Turk. However, when, for reasons unknown to us, it was found in Agrinio (then called Vrachori), the grace of God came upon him. And the young man at the age of Hassan was drawn by the Christian religion. St. John was added to the chorus of the New Martyrs on September 23, 1814 and is a honor and a pride for his birthplace. This is why the sacred hymnographer is rightly chanting: “In Konitsa, I praised Saint, or in a bloody, soulless, blessed life, observe your homeland, invite your thought, John Neomartis” (from the Zodiac of Cannos).
Saint Paisios the Athonite
Saint Paisios the Athonite in World Arsenios Eneppidis was born in Pharassa, Cappadocia, on July 25, 1924 AD, a few days before the Pharassots flee from the pledged land for Greece.
In Greece, Arseni’s family settled in Konitsa, Epirus, where he spent his childhood and youth. In 1949 he went to Mount Athos, seeking a guide to his life against God’s peace. But he failed to fulfill his desire immediately. At the same time, his own were in the same period in great financial difficulty, so they called him to help them. So he returned to Konitsa and worked as a carpenter. But after 3 years (1953 AD), at the age of 29, he left the world and returned to the state of Athos. On March 12, 1956 AD. in the Holy Monastery of Filotheos, a small monk and named “Paisios. In August 1958, in obedience to a divine parliament, he did not settle in the desert for which he was preparing, but in the destroyed Holy Monastery of Panagia Stomiou, located near Konitsa. She lived in her for 4 years, living an Isaac life, renovating the monastery with a lot of toil.
Monastery of Molyvdoskepasti
It is located in the settlement: Molyvdoskepasto
Where the foot of Mount Nemertsika meets the Aoos River, near the junction with Sarantaporo, is the monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin Molyvdoskepasti. The name of the Monastery comes from the lead plates, which, instead of tiles or stone slabs, covered the old church.
The monastery, according to tradition, was founded by emperor Konstantinos Pogonato as he returned from his campaign to Sicily (671-672 AD) and later was renovated by the emperor Andronikos Palaiologos (1328-341 AD). In the later years it was restored by the inhabitants of Pogoniani, who painted their katholikon in 1522.
The present monastery of Molyvdoskepasti maintains its fortuitous view, it has renovated cells, two bell towers and a nice garden. The monastery today is an active male monastery and celebrates every year on the 15th of August. Early vigil is coming from the evening on August 14th, and is operational at dawn. In the courtyard of the Monastery, behind the sanctuary there is the tomb of the late Metropolitan of Dryinoupolis, Pogoniani and Konitsis Sevastianos. The roof of the katholikon was replaced with lead plates and the monastery fairly continues to be titled “Molyvdoskepasti”.
Monastery of Panagia Stomiou
It is located in the settlement: Konitsa
In one of the most impressive locations of our country, in the ravine of Aoos, between the steep slopes of Tymphi (height 2497 m) and Trapezitsa (height 2024 m) is the Monastery of Panagia Stomiou.
The monastery’s original position, founded in 1442, is located on the opposite slopes of Trapezitsa, where the name “Paliomonastero” is preserved. Stomi Monastery is today an active male monastery. It has 11 newly built cells with auxiliary spaces and a small, cross-shaped catholic with dome. Interesting is the iconostasis with several Byzantine icons and the remains of many saints who were transferred to the monastery from Palaiomonastero. The visit to the monastery is only a 2-hour hike from the Konitsa bridge. The monastery celebrates on 8 September, where hundreds of pilgrims flock from Konitsa and the surrounding area.